U–jazdowski Residencies: our vision
- Artist first
- We emphasise direct cooperation between the visiting artist and the institution. The residency follows the practice, ideas and methods of an individual (or collective) rather than programming. However, our residents work and research in co–operation with curators, project coordinators, PR & press department and have access to U–jazdowski’s production facilities and resources.
- Researching is testing
- We support experiments allowing our residents to initiate and test their project propositions. We believe in artistic practices that can lead to unexpected outcomes and respond to the changing world. We consider that the time to understand, connect, get inspired and change one’s mind is as valuable as making an exhibition. We offer time and space, not deadlines.
- Presenting is not always exhibiting
- We understand residencies as a medium for artistic practice that allows for searching for models of presentation other than exhibitions. This includes many different types of outcome including performance shows, lectures, seminars, community–engaging projects, but also less formal situations such as colloquia, dinners and conversations.
- Mapping Warsaw and involving its residents
- Our residents’ works are frequently deeply entrenched in the local context of Warsaw. They map and enter into a dialogue with the city on many layers, involving its inhabitants in the process of creation and allowing different forms of knowledge to surface.
- Polylogue and knowledge exchange
- We believe that learning and artistic experimentation benefit from artists’ mobility, institutional collaboration and open–ended processes.